Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

Keith Nuttle wrote in
:

On 2/13/2012 4:08 PM, Han wrote:
Keith wrote in news:jhbpcv$hh3$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

On 2/13/2012 12:21 PM, Swingman wrote:
gs have changed since a ninth grade in 1957.

But they now graduate (at least those the graduate) have good self
esteem

English is my second language, can you please explain more clearly?
I really prefer Dutch, but that may be too much to ask ...

I worded it so poorly. I forget sometime that these groups are
international and sarcasm does not translate well from one language to
the other, sometimes not even from American to British.

This was a comment on a previous post about graduating from school.

Self esteem = "having a good opinion of yourself"

Many schools and teachers in America feel that it is more important
for the student to have a good opinion of themselves than to know
subjects like Math, history, language, etc.

Hence they pass students on to the next grade when they have not
learned the subjects in their current grade. (Should have failed and
been required to retake the courses.) In these cases even though they
graduate from high school or college, the only thing they have when
they graduate is that they think highly of themselves but have no
knowledge of the subject matter they were suppose to have learned.

I hope that I am right in thinking that that is being reconsidered.
We're not doing kids a favor promoting them if they did not master the
essence at least of the material taught them. I know there is more
reliance on summertime remedial classes, and that some schools do not
promote. (it is not always the teacher nor always the kid that is the
problem).

--
Best regards
Han