Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10095 Ignoramus10095 is offline

Default Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

On 2012-02-15, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

On 2012-02-15, dpb wrote:
On 2/14/2012 7:14 PM, Ignoramus10095 wrote:

dpb, here's where I am lost.

The carburetor, visibly, does NOT have a bowl. It does, however,
have
those electric valves on top. It might have a bowl, but its location
is not obvious or visible.

I hadn't looked at the closeup pictures before, but just did after
thinking about the year. It's one of the hybrid injection systems.
I've had a couple but never had to work on one so forget the earlier
thoughts posted--they're not pertinent to these.

I think the phrase is "throttle body injection" for looking for
information.

If I were to hazard a complete guess, it would be after two years
idle
the injectors are plugged. How to attack them, specifically, I don't
know, sorry.

--

How do they work, do they create pressure, or are they just valves,
with the pressure created by the in-tank pump?

A fuel injector is just a solenoid actuated spray nozzle. The in-tank
pump provides the fuel pressure and the pressure regulator regulates
that pressure sending excess fuel back to the tank via the return line.

OK, now I have the picture, I think. I am now thinking of proper ways
to troubleshoot this.

I guess that a first test would be to activate the fuel pump without
cranking (by turning the ignirion key almost to the crank position),
and apply 12v to the injectors.

Depending on whether they spray fuel or not, I will know what is wrong
or at least will move in the right direction.

Thanks

To be kind to the injector coils I'd only apply full 12V to the injectors
for a second or so. Normally injector drive circuits limit the current or
PWM after the injector opens.

I probably would just check for the presence of voltage at the injector coil
during cranking.

Eliminates pretty much everything but clogged injector.

OK, now the 64,000 dollar question: can they be un-clogged?