Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default How much should a lathe rebuild cost, approximately

On 2012-02-15, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:04:48 -0600, Ignoramus26334
wrote:

I am just wondering if someone has an approximate idea: how much does
a lathe rebuild (just a bed and cross slide regrind and Moglice)
cost.

Transportation of the machine is not a problem.

Sizes are 16x30 or 16x54 for the two lathes in question.

The question is labor cost. I rebuild for cheap cause I pay myself
nothing. Real easy to spend 200+ hours on something like this. If you
paid somebody 15-20 an hour, it could easy go over $10K. There's a
reason industry just scraps an old machine.

Karl, as you know, I trust and respect you, but I wonder why a rebuild
should involve 200 hours, if good equipment is available. I thought that
it is abous indicating and grinding the bed and cross slide, building
up with epoxy, and reassembling everything. I can see how it could
take a long time in the absence of a proper grinder etc. But would it
be time consuming to do myself. I personally would never undertake
such a project personally.

I wanted to say ", but it would be time consuming to do myself".

I have a friend that has a 10 ft stroke surface grinder and fresh paint
don't make them cut any more accurately.