Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing broken hitch ball : Epilog end

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 09:09:52 -0800, "Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
readable)" wrote:

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 18:15:51 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Having procured a few 3/4-16 nuts from OSH (Thanks, Bruce!),
I've installed the HF hitch ball on my truck without issue.
I was 'way out on the handle of the knuckle-buster and gave
it a few really good reefs. The hardware tightened up and
stayed in place. It will be 'one with the truck' for a very
long time to come.
HF should buy OSH. They are a match made in Heaven.

--Winston--Now living happily ever after

OSH is a very good source to have around when you don't want to hassle
with McMaster or Grainger for one or two things, as their selection is
a lot deeper and they have it Now - but they are NOT my first choice
for everyday large purchases because the prices are a good 20% higher
than Home Depot or Lowe's.

You could probably 'Price Match' them down to reality if you had to
(as in they are the closest store and you're "on the clock") but
that's another hassle. And then you're /still/ wasting a half hour
haggling the price instead of just grabbing the part and getting back
to install it.

-- Bruce --

One thing to keep in mind - many of the "dedicated" fastener and
industrial suppliers, who's prices are 20% higher, actually still
carry QUALITY fasteners.

Remember,"If you want first quality oats you need to be willing to pay
first quality price. If you are willing to settle for oats that have
already been through the horse, they DO come a little cheaper".

Much of the "hardware" purchased from HD, Lowes etc is definitely of
the "already been through the horse" variety.

For some jobs, that is adequate. For others, it is not. And just
because what you bought last week or last year was of sufficient
quality doesn't mean what you buy today is - or even if the last one
you took out of the package was adequate doesn't mean the next one
will be. (as I found out today - 5 fasteners - 5 were "decent" and one
badly mis-shapen and virtually useless)