Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Low hot water output

On 2/14/2012 2:01 PM, wrote:
On Feb 14, 1:35 pm, Steve wrote:
On 2/14/2012 9:29 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The one time I replaced a dip tube, this worked for me:

1) Shut off the water main, turn gas valve from middle to "warm"
2) Open the tank drain, open the upstairs faucets, and drain a gallon or so
of water
3) Using tubing cutter, cut the cold water inlet tubing about 6 inches over
the tank
4) Pipe wrench, gently unthread the nipple and tube from inlet side
5) Check for dip tube, didnt find one. Slip the new tube in.
6) Solder half a copper union to the nipple I just threaded out (tubing
should be horizontal, balanced on a brick or something while soldering)
7) Rectoreseal the nipple, push the tubing from above out of the way, crank
the threaded part back in
8) Put the other half of the union on. Guess where to cut the other piece of
copper, size to fit
9) Sweat the other half the union to the copper coming from above
10) Snug down the union, turn water on, check for leaks, reset gas
thermostat

Present invoice to customer. Next change out will be a lot easier, since you
can just shut off the water, turn down the gas, and take it apart at the
union and the threads.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

All these nay sayers must be water heater salesmen. LMAO! The damn dip
tubes are flexible. No overhead needed to replace. If it's REALLY
REALLY tight against something, just drill a hole and drop it through
it. duh.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

The tank is 17 years old. That puts it in the mid 90s when
the ones with bad dip tubes that deteriorated and fell apart
were made. So there is a good chance that the dip tube
is indeed the problem. It also puts the tank past it's typical
life. I
don;t know what you're seeing, but in my experience, about
13 years or so is typical for a gas water heater.
So, I think most of us "nay sayers"
aren't saying it isn't impossible to replace the dip tube, just
that it's not wise to do so.

It also depends on who is doing the replacing. If it's someone
that can't do it themselves and has to pay a plumber, then
they have to evaluate spending the service cost on something
that isn't likely to last much longer no matter what they do.
And there is the issue of the consequences of failure.
Often water heaters go with no warning, starting to spew
water. I'd evaluate what the consquences of that might
be as well.

granted, the condition needs to be evaluated. That involves draining,
and removing the drain valve and looking in there. Not an impossible
task even for a DIY'r. I just don't believe in replacing stuff just to
watch it leave.

--
Steve Barker