Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Isolation transformer draws excessive current under no load condition

On Feb 13, 9:15*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Robert Macy"

** Is there any way to shut fools like you up ??
* *----------------------------------------------------

Adding caps will indeed have NO effect on the tranny, but WILL improve
the PF as seen by your AC mains,

** Absolute BULL**** !!!!!!!!!

which means the amount of power you
drop in your wiring [and pay for] will be less.

** Absolute IDIOCY !!!!!!!

Adding caps is a STANDARD way to adjust power factor to 1.

** But never used with an off load transformer - because that idea is 100%
STUPID.

YOU are an obsessed IDIOT with a one track mind.

**** off.

I stand by what I said as technically correct.

** LOL - *that only makes you a BIGGER ****ing idiot.

Many, many technical journals, text books, and supporting calculations
based upon terms of definition confirm what I said.

** Shame you cannot supply one that backs up your idiotic comments about
unloaded transformers.

Listen PAL *!!!!!!!!

YOU *are nothing but a lying, bull****ting *NUT CASE !!

Clueless to the core.

FOAD.

... *Phil

There is a difference between
CANNOT supply reference material,
DID NOT supply reference material, and
WILL NOT supply reference material.

I simply DID NOT for several reasons. Takes a lot of time. Your
attitude appears closed, thus, I did not expect you to take the time
to read what I took the time to research for you; and not sure anyone
else is interested.

However, I AM INTERESTED, and upon searching, found over 15,000
related articles. The artricles either dismiss the small effects/
distortions and then describe linear transformer models, or support
the models I use/modified/developed. However, after one of the most
promising articles also misused the term 'magnetizing current' as I
had; I decided to rederive my transformer model from basics. I already
have distrust for information in printed sources. I'm going to
specifically look into whether the nonlinearity of the magnetizing
current does lessen with load. I suspect that in an isolation
transformer it does NOT, because the full voltage pretty much remains
constant across the core. However, in an audio matching transformer,
going from no load to full load drops the voltage across the core
approx. in half and indeed the magnetizing current would then change,
with less voltage across the core, the magnetizing current would also
lessen.

If the core material of an isolation transformer is extremely high
quality with low coercivity, whether the transformer is loaded, or
unloaded, will make small difference to the inductive current flowing
through the core, BECAUSE the voltage the core must sustain stays
pretty constant, whether unloaded or fully loaded. The inductive
current through the core appears in parralell to the load and is
pretty much constant. Being summed in quadrature just makes it appear
that it is getting smaller.

For example consider an isolation transformer that has 1A core current
(assume linear) with NO LOAD, one would measure 1A of current flowing.
Now load the transformer with a relatively small 5A load, now one
would measure only 5.1A, which makes the core current APPEAR to be
less as load increases, when in actuality, the core current has stayed
the same 1A inductive current.
= sqrt( 5*5 + 1*1 ) = 5.1 Is your comment that the core's current
decreases with load based upon such observation?

Your personal attack is unwarranted. I'm not a "...lying, bull****ting
NUT CASE !!" But this discussion is not about how you perceive my
character, rather this discussion is about explaining whether the OP's
transformer is broken or not, based upon his observation that the
transformer's leakage current is 2.5A. From that question the
discussion has become a positive LEARNING experience! so, STICK to
the SUBJECT.

However, thanks for the pricelss comment:
"Clueless to the core." LOL!
What did I do to deserve such PUNishment?