Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

On 2/14/2012 3:23 PM, Han wrote:
"Mike wrote in
:

Swingman wrote:

Easy ... unlike "climate change", the various "States of Matter"
(which were indeed under discussion in this very newsgroup, by
woodworkers, woodworkers with science degrees, among other things,

Agreed - except that my point was that among the most elite of the
scientific minds within any discipline, there is disagreement. So -
here's these greatest of minds, with the fullness of their educations,
and they somehow do no agree on theories, and ideas. How then can a
group of woodworkers that even with their professional background
(which are generally not in that elite realm), expect to define
"scientific" in any better way? When the best of the best use
"scientific" processes to defend their positions, and find themselves
in disagreement, how can this forum hope to achieve any better? And
then someone comes up with the phrase that this is "scientific" - BS.
On which side of the argument? Both sides use science to defend their
position.

and contrary to your last word above, the "S" in BS in this case
stands for "science"g) are well understood and pretty universally
"accepted science" for the past few hundred years... at least, so
far.

Science is by no means understood universally. If it were, there
would not be contradictory theories within the real of scientific
study. The scientific community is in no way in complete accord.
Methinks we throw this word "scientific" around way too loosely. We
tend to use it in attempt to defend our own position with no regard to
how much discord there is within the true world of scientific
discourse.

Certainly good enough to cook your dinner, steam your clams, freeze
your food, make your AC work, and put a man on the moon, among other
things.

Well - we never disagreed on the value of science. I'm only
challenging the use of the term "scientific" as thrown about here.

I'll take that degree of "scientific" acceptance any day ...

Me too - but that was not my point.

I got a PhD in 1976 in biochemistry, from the University of Utrecht with
Professor Laurens L.M. van Deenen. You can google him, he's dead now.
That's by way of saying it wasn't from a matchbook cover diploma mill. I
have also been co-author of many good scientific articles, of which I am
proud. Look up M.J. Broekman in PubMed.

So with all that knowledge, please explain what happened in Swingman's
garage that afternoon. ;~)