Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus10095 Ignoramus10095 is offline

Default Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

On 2012-02-15, Pete C. wrote:

On 2012-02-14, Winston wrote:
Ignoramus10095 wrote:
I have a Chevy Kodiak dump truck that I am trying to fix.

Pictures of the truck and carburetor are he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Chevy-Kodiak/

(...)

Any ideas what could be wrong? Carb cleanout and rebuild necessary?

Yup. But first, remove the contaminated gasoline
from the tank, pump and lines. Safest would be
to remove the gas tank and have it de-rusted,
cleaned and lined.

--Winston

We did this, thanks.

Onboard computer bad ?
Check fuel line pressure ?

Looks like throttle body injection (TBI), lots of stuff to go wrong.

Best Regards
Tom.

Yes, if it is TBI it does not have a carburetor, it has a throttle body
which only superficially looks like a carb. The TBI setup has an in-tank
high(er) pressure fuel pump and two fuel injectors in the throttle body.
You can check to see if the injectors are being opened by the PCM with
"NOID" lights which you can usually borrow from an auto parts place
(with deposit). If the injectors are getting driven by the PCM they may
well be clogged/stuck, I don't believe a set of those injectors is all
that expensive. If they are not getting driven by the PCM there could be
issues with sensors like crankshaft or camshaft position.

What model year is it? I had a 1990 FS Blazer with the TBI 350 and the
TBI 454 was an option. I *think* I still have the manuals for it around.

This does seem to be TBI (not that I know much) and the engine is a
Chevy 454!

If you have anything on it, I would love to get a copy or a scan!

Thanks a lot!