Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 07:46:02 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 2/14/2012 6:54 AM, Han wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

On 2/13/2012 7:50 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/13/2012 7:12 AM, Han wrote:
Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

That cool air hitting the warm iron results in almost instant
condensation on the iron.

Generally, warm and moist air hitting a cool surface is what cuases
condensation on the cool object. Cool air hitting a warm surface
does NOT give condensation.

Bull ****!

Sorry Han, To explain my response, and where I have witnessed your
second statement being not true "all of the time" is in Swingman's
shop.

I understand how the condensation principal works.

BUT a few years ago Swingman and I were working in his shop, it had
been quite warm. We had a cold front blow in suddenly at the end of
the day and the temperature dropped quickly. "Heavy" Condensation
formed on the iron machine surfaces with in minutes, something we do
not often see.

Why? I have no idea.

Did you have the windows open, it got cold (and the iron cooled down),
then you shut the windows and opened the doors to the rest of the humid,
warm house?

No windows, detached uninsulated garage, just a 16' garage door that had
been open all day and a rear side door that was open for the 3' fan to
create a breeze through the shop. At the end of the day the front blew
in and almost immediately, 10 minutes, "puddles" ow water formed on the
cast iron surfaces. I started wiping the water off of the first casulty,
;~) before Swingman noticed what was happening, he was still finishing up
with something on the TS. We both had to stop what we were doing to wipe the surfaces off.

Now the iron might have gotten cold but this all happened in a matter of
a few minutes and the the whole shop cooled down before closing the doors.

It all was a bit freaky, I had never seen condensation form that quickly
in such a great quantity.

Wow. All I can say is this must be another example of why eyewitness
testimony is often considered suspect ... two totally different
recollections.

Why a one-time happening would become his rule is another oddity.

--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach