Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default 12V 10W solar panel to charge car battery

In ,
wrote:
My 4.8 (claimed) solar panel is in series with a mA meter and I look
whenever I am near the car.

On a day like today, completely overcast, between 11 am and 3 pm, the mA
meter reads between 10 mA and 25 mA.

That, of course would barely cover the quiescent draw on a modern car. And
not at all when dark.

Of course, but it is better than nothing.
I have not bothered to check what the car draws whilst 'asleep'.

On a sunny day, in winter, it can go as high as 170 mA.

In summer, it can go over 250 mA.

Sadly, there's less drain from the starter etc in the summer - and a lead
acid also works rather better when warm.

I suppose it might just make a slight difference - but worth the effort?

Well, I have been doing this for a number of years now, and I've not had
a problem starting a car (this and previous cars, when we used to have
three) that had not been started for quite a while.

This engine takes some turning over, too. Even the solenoid on the
starter draws over 6.5 amps.

Apparently, the alternator on the 118i auto is rated at 160 amps, I do
not know what it is on the 335d.

David