Posted to sci.electronics.repair
root root is offline

Default Help! I've burned up 3 SATA drives today

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , root
escribió:

I have run out of expendable SATA drives. Any idea of
what might be the problem?

If the drives had both Molex and SATA power connectors - not all do -
and you were connecting both (you don't say), that would damage it.
Connect either the Molex or the SATA but never both.

I would have said you might have a mis-wired Molex-to-SATA adapter (it's
not unknown, especially with cheap crap coming out of China), but you
ruled that out by using the PSU's own SATA connector.

Thanks for responding. A long time ago I had a SATA drive with both
power connectors. None of the drives I ruined were the dual power
socket types. I have a lot of the Chinese adapter cables, and
the ones I used were from China: Deal Extreme.

I have put a brand new ThermalTake power supply in. I have to
wait until I can round up some old SATA drives for testing.