Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Interesting "transitional" wiring; how to splice?

On 02/13/2012 05:15 PM, RBM wrote:
On 2/13/2012 4:06 PM, bob haller wrote:

If it were me, I'd leave everything as it is, until or unless you know
definitively that some entity having jurisdiction, wants something
upgraded. I suppose, Freddie, Fannie, State Farm or anyone else involved
in the buying - selling process can request/demand a variety of things,
but unless you have something in writing, you may be duplicating your
efforts.-

That sounds nice but come back to bite you bad

So the sellers do little, and a ready buyer shows up and they hire a
home inspector.

who flags all the outlets, lack of grounds no GFCI etc.

Where before sale DIY could of taken care of all this. now their is a
buyer and he will nearly always demand all work be done by registered
electricians etc.

the costs to fix stuff will skyrocket and the registered contractors
will find new issues. and more added costs.

in the case a buyer finds defencies its far better to get estimates
and agree to deduct it off sales price.

otherwise registered contractors will find more issues and more added
costs

sorry to muddy the water even more......

and to the OP you work on the home and something bad happens to the
house owners may try to lay blame on anyone convenient... you. even if
it wasnt your fault.........

you have been warned!

If you're looking to renovate a house to raise it's value, I could write
a huge list of items that would help. If the intent is to remove issues
that may prevent a sale, I think the prudent thing to do, is find out
what those issues might be. "Home inspectors" have no power or authority
over anything or anyone, except maybe for you. They are hired by a
perspective buyer to find problems and violations with the building. If
the building has a valid C/O, then all the wiring, regardless of type or
age, unless it's been damaged or improperly altered, is compliant. There
is no violation in having fuses, non grounding outlets, no gfci outlets,
no afci outlets, or anything else required in current code.

I agree 100%. The work original to the house actually looks very good.
It doesn't look like anything ever got wet or even really dirty - the
house as a whole is very clean and other than style you couldn't guess
the age of much of anything in there from condition. I personally
wouldn't touch the fuse box unless/until I was ready to upgrade the
service and I'm not sure that that's necessary. (100A now. don't know
what size the service wires are; they may be OK for 150.) For *me
personally* I would want grounding receps everywhere though; your
average person these days has too many electronics to not have that.
Since it's an easy "fix" it might be a good pre-emptive strike to do
them now. If I hadn't found the soldered splice we wouldn't even be
having this discussion, I'd know exactly what to do. And even so I
think I can make this work. What I'll do is -

pull the old receps, and at each box, put a yellow wire nut over the
soldered splice to sidestep any future concerns about the "mechanical
connection" verbiage

then take another wire nut, remove the pigtail from the ground screw,
snip off the loop, then splice a longer piece of bare wire onto it. I
will then wrap the bare wire around the ground screw and have the wire
continue on to the ground screw of the device.

That should work, yes?

My initial thought was to lay a wire alongside the soldered splice and
wire nut over the whole package, but I have concerns about the years of
oxidation of the solder. If it appears that in some locations snipping
off the solder joint would not shorten the wires enough to make a
noncompliant installation, I would certainly do that to make life easier.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel