Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default The machines that made the Jet Age

On 2/13/2012 7:11 PM, Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

If you want to support such tooling economically, you've got to keep it
working. But if Boeing wanted to use its autoclave's idle time to build
racing yacht hulls, for example, the DoD clearances they'd need would kill
the project.

_VERY_ good and overlooked point...when I was consulting at the DOE
facilities in Oak Ridge, there was installed/operated a very large
multi-axis shaker table for centrifuge program development/testing.

When the centrifuge program plug was pulled, we worked for a couple of
years to try to get enough clearances lifted to be able for DOE and the
operating contractor to sell time on a state-of-the-art, world-class
facility. Never happened--despite there being absolutely nothing
classified in the facility any longer, simply the work to get
non-Q-cleared clients into the facility was insurmountable obstacle. It
still sits there, a mouldering away...