Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Interesting "transitional" wiring; how to splice?

On 2/13/2012 11:45 AM, dpb wrote:
On 2/13/2012 10:58 AM, bud-- wrote:

Solder joints were used for much more than K&T.
You can use solder joints now.

Actually, there's a point to be raised here to OP.

NEC _PROHIBITS_ solder connections in service wires, in the ground wire
or in a grounding wire.

For a ground wire it depends on what the code says at the time the house
was wired. And also depends on the allowed practice in that jurisdiction
at that time.

It isn't prohibited to have solder connection but it must not be the
mechanical means of holding the connection together; iow it must have a
mechanical fastener as well.

The mechanical means is typically by twisting the wires. Before there
were wire nuts, BX (for instance) wires would be twisted, fluxed, and
pointed down. The electrician would come around with a solder pot and
raise the pot to dip the connection. A fastener is not required. I have
only seen one of these connections that was bad.

OP's biggest task to bring the installation up to Code is probably to
correct that if the existing wiring is soldered only.

There didn't used to be wire nuts; soldering was common. Ground wires
may or may not be compliant. If the ground connection is not disturbed
(for instance using self-grounding receptacles) I doubt an inspector
would care in any case.

--
bud--