Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Motor Run capacitor

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:39:16 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Last year I got some kind of surge/ spike that took out the suppressor I
had on my compressor line. I installed a new one again. Ac is ok.

Greg

That's why I recommend surge arresters on HVAC equipment. Around here in
the summer months is when we have a lot of thunderstorms and the
darn lightning strikes occur when the AC is running wide open. Voltage
spikes travel a long way from a strike and of course power may cut in
and out a lot so I always install a anti-short cycle timer to protect
the compressor from slamming on and off when under load. Most electronic
thermostats have the timer built in but there are a lot of mechanical
thermostats out there.

TDD

My HVAC tech suggested a "surge" protector for my new unit. I asked
about a "whole house" suppressor, he said to put one on the
compressor. Got a link for the HVAC unit type? We seldom have
lightning strikes, but now it makes more sense -- just in case.

If you got the right kind of breaker, you can put this attached to breaker
box in parallel with HVAC, and will function whole house also. It can
attach at HVAC also.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/13...ge_Protectorii

Greg