Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Interesting "transitional" wiring; how to splice?

On 02/13/2012 12:21 PM, Dave M. wrote:
Nate,

I just
don't want the estate to be paying an electrician to do this work because
a) it'd be silly when several family members are perfectly capable of
knocking it out in a day and at least I am willing to have a go at it and
b) AFAIK it is perfectly legal in most jurisdictions for a homeowner to
replace receptacles without permit/inspection, as long as it's a one for
one, and based on my understanding of the code, if I replace any recep in
a grounded box, I *must* use a modern grounding type recep, no exceptions,
so it's all perfectly legit.

Sorry to be pedantic here but it does not sound as if you own this house,
the estate does. You aren't the owner or a licensed electrician. Doesn't
sound legit. I'd do the wiring but I wouldn't fool myself by saying it's
legit.

Dave M.

I already called the inspector for the area and confirmed that he does
not require a permit for the work. I'm definitely not trying to do
anything slim shady here, just trying to make things right and help the
house sell as quickly as possible - unoccupied houses are quite the
liability.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.