Bob Minchin

Default Choice of dovetail jig

Paul Mc Cann wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 21:53:55 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On 5 Nov 2003 07:44:15 -0600, Rick wrote:

Hi,
I am just starting to get into woodworking and have decided to get a
dovetail jig. The choice so far is between a Trend DJ300 and a Trend
CDJ300.

The specs seem to be the same.

Given the choice, which would you go for?

Rick....

I have a Leigh and am pretty pleased with the results that I get with
it. Depending on what you want to do, it does take a while to set
up, but the flexibility is good.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

A slight difference in the price I fear, no ?

I wouldn't be inclined to buy Trend gear. I always think it over
priced.

Do Axminster not do an alternative to either of the above ?

Paul Mc Cann

Be careful about choosing the £50 ones from Axminster screwfix and almost
anyone else. The build quality and repeatability is poor. Money saved on
the jig will soon be lost in turning wood into scrap.

Yes the Leigh is in a different price league but it is a first class tool.
I bought mine secondhand on Ebay much cheaper than new prices. It is
cheaper in the US if you are every travelling that far. It does dismantle
to make it fit in a suitcase.

Bob