Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In message , at 15:15:53 on Mon, 13 Feb
2012, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
I have a fridge containing drinks, tables and chairs in my house,
for example, but I still visit pubs on occassion even though the
same activity in my own home would, if anything, be more comfortable.

The societal sea change in the last generation has been exactly that
- homes becoming more comfortable than pubs, rather than vice versa.
Although some pubs try quite hard to keep their comforts ahead of the
game, that's often at the expense (no pun intended) of pricing
themselves out of the market.

Acute point and well made.

My home is now far more comfortable and nicer to be in than almost all
pubs.

I can smoke if I want, drink as much as I like, the toilet are not
disgusting, and mostly the food is as good or better.

If I want to gossip, there is the Internet.

If I want to watch a football cricket or Rugby match, there is the TV
or the Internet/computer.

What do I need or want a PUB for?

You want it when you aren't near home, or want more than a cafe but less
than a restaurant, or it's a meeting of more people than you'd be able
to accommodate at home, or supply free food and drink to at home.

On the other hand, if fancy hosting the next cam.misc meet, feel free
--
Roland Perry