Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default 12V 10W solar panel to charge car battery

M.Joshi wrote:
Thanks for all your replies so far. I have considered pulse chargers
such as the CTek and others however, I don't have a mains socket outside
near the front driveway. I would have to have a trailing mains lead
from the front door and that wouldn't be ideal for a long-term solution.
The CTek ones are also quite costly too.

I read many positive reviews about using a solar charger to keep a car
battery trickle charged and prevent it from going flat due to long
periods of not being used.

There are some good reviews for the Maplin's solar charger but it is
only a few watts.

Another one I saw on Amazon/eBay looks like a folding briefcase and is
about 4W.

Absurdly useless.

I decided to look at a 10W panel as I assumed this would produce an
adequate output with reduced sunlight in winter.

Still not big enough IMO.

After reading some of the replies to my original post, I'm not so sure
now?

FWIW, I use a 50W panel to keep the battery on my tractor topped up. I have
a solar charge controller to avoid overcharging. It takes about three days
to charge the battery (110AH) from 40% discharge then the controller
switches to trickle charging.