Posted to alt.home.repair
harryagain harryagain is offline

Default Water hammer

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...
Howdy folks! When the toilet shuts off, I hear a fairly loud water hammer
now. Never had that happen before until recently and have not had any
plumbing work done. I did a little net research and see that this could
cause damage or leaks in the piping, so I'll have to get on this one quick.
But before I jump into it head first, I've gotten a lot of good advice here
and thought the great mind might have some tips.

A couple of questions -- since it just started, I'm wondering where the air
could have come from? I've tried running the water in all the faucets high
and low to try and bleed it but don't see much difference.

I've read that it could be on the downstream or upstream side of the valve -
do you know any way to tell? Sounds like there are different things to try
and I'd just as soon start with the most likely and easiest ones first.

Some more info (pull up a chair, boys, LOL!!)... the toilet, sink & tub all
tee into the same line within a couple of feet of each other, but only the
toilet hammers. Also, in the other end of the house - about 30 feet
downstream of the toilet, the kitchen sink faucet hammers.

Welp, that's my story. Any help or good guess much appreciated.

Bob
Try the easy thing first. Change the washer/diaphragm on the float valve
first.
Often cures the problem.
It's not always air.