Posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity,sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 23:37:51 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , micky
writes
Will flat, modular, outsde the wall phone wire run DSL for 50 feet?
Or do I need thicker wire?

The short answer is 'probably'. After all, if you are on an old type of
phone system, a twin wire phone line has brought the DSL signal all the
way from the exchange to your house. Another 50 feet isn't really going
to make a lot of difference.

Apparently the problem wasn't the twin wire, but the thin wire.
Replacing it with round four-conductor 4-color wire (using only 2 of
them) , (that I got out of the trash 20 or 30 years ago) actually a
piece 10 or 20 feet longer than I took out, more than tripled my
download speed.

The Verizon guy had told me that the special under the carpet (but not
Cat-5, just wire) 4-conductor wire was no good.

I taped the space around the window, and II still haven't bought the
flat CAT-5 for some reason.

P&M