Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default glazing bow windows on 80 year old house... question about inside window

On Sun, 12 Feb 2012 20:33:00 -0800 (PST), DD_BobK
wrote:

The "correct" (or infinitely nit picked) procedure for glazing or re-
glazing a wooden window is:

1) apply some thinned orange shellac to the window sash material where
the glass will seat and allow it to dry
2) apply a very small amount of glazing compound to the same surface
to act as a bedding compound
3) seat the glass and glaze as usual
4) on the inside I typically prep with a bit latex caulk and paint as
usual

If the sashes have been neglected or moisture damaged, I suggest
applying a couple treatments of lineseed oil thinned with turpentine
prior to the shellac.

I use an organic linseed oil glazing compound.
http://www.solventfreepaint.com/window_glazing.htm

Not good nitpicking when you never mentioned points, or putty bevel
angle.
But lets not go there.

--Vic