Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Water hammer

On Feb 12, 10:37*pm, "Guv Bob"
wrote:
Howdy folks! * When the toilet shuts off, I hear a fairly loud water hammer now. *Never had that happen before until recently and have not had any plumbing work done. I did a little net research and see that this could cause damage or leaks in the piping, so I'll have to get on this one quick. *But before I jump into it head first, I've gotten a lot of good advice here and thought the great mind might have some tips.

A couple of questions -- since it just started, I'm wondering where the air could have come from? *I've tried running the water in all the faucets high and low to try and bleed it but don't see much difference.

I've read that it could be on the downstream or upstream side of the valve - do you know any way to tell? *Sounds like there are different things to try and I'd just as soon start with the most likely and easiest ones first.

Some more info (pull up a chair, boys, LOL!!)... *the toilet, sink & tub all tee into the same line within a couple of feet of each other, but only the toilet hammers. * Also, in the other end of the house - about 30 feet downstream of the toilet, the kitchen sink faucet hammers.

Welp, that's my story. *Any help or good guess much appreciated.

Bob

Simplest thing to try first:

Stolen without permission from:

http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumb..._plumb_sys.htm

Draining the Plumbing System

To drain the plumbing system proceed as follows:

Shut off the main water valve at the water meter
Starting at the top floor, open all the sink faucets;
Go to the basement or the lowest level in your home and open the
faucet in your laundry tub and let all the water from the above floors
drain out;
Now go back upstairs or to the highest level in the home and open
the tub/shower faucets;
Now go flush all the toilets;
Leave the faucets in an open position;

Charging the Plumbing System with Water

To activate the plumbing system and refill it with water proceed as
follows:

Close the basement faucet or lowest level faucet in the house;
Now close all the upper faucets. Closing the faucets allows air
remain in the pipes to recharge the air chambers you may have in your
home's plumbing system;
your pipes;
Now, one by one, starting with the highest level faucets, turn on
the faucets and let the air/water sputter out until only clear water
flows from the faucet.
You may see discolored water come out at first, this is normal.
Open the shower faucets;
Flush the toilets
Once the water is running clear, turn off the faucets starting at
the highest floor level and work your way down through the house. You
may have an occasional sputter the next time you use a faucet but any
remaining air will quickly be purged.