Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Hot Water Recirculating Pump

On 2/12/2012 3:42 PM, JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 11, 2:57 pm, Steve wrote:
On 2/11/2012 1:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

True or False?

A hot water recirculating pump won't decrease the amount of time it
takes to get hot water to a fixture, it will only eliminate the waste
caused by the water running down the drain.

True, right?

(Another Ask This Old House inspired question)

unless it:
a. runs all the time or
b. is a passive gravity system

the whole idea of the passive system which will work in any house with a
water heater below the level the fixtures are on, is INSTANT hot water.
We had it introduced to us in 1970 when my parents built on to their
house. It worked (and still works) great!

--
Steve Barker

But these waste a lot of heat because they are continuously
circulating. We have a second home in Fl and the water heater is at
one end of the house and 3 bathrooms at the other. it can be a pretty
good wait for the hot water to come up so I installed one that you hit
a switch to call up the hot water. I mounted the switch by the the
light switch in the bedroom figuring this would give the pump a bit of
a head start before you made it to the bathroom.

the 'waste' is minimal during cooling season. and zero during heating
season. It's about instant hot water, not about energy. I could really
give a big rats ass if my gas bill goes up by 85 cents a month to have
instant hot. Thanks for your input. The pump setups don't save anything.

--
Steve Barker