Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default glazing bow windows on 80 year old house... question about insidewindow

On 2/12/2012 2:46 PM, KOS wrote:
hi, I have recently relgazed a large bow window on my house. my house
is appox 80 years old. my question is regarding the inside of the
window. I am going to paint the inside of the window . Side note-
since the windows had very poor glazing- lots of moisture seeped into
the inside section of the window and has caused the paint in the house
to peel. I am in the process of scrapping the paint from the inside
section of the bow windows- this is- inside the hosue.. Is it
necessary to put any glaze compound on the inside of the window? or
should I just put paint there... Again, the outside have been
reglazed- my question is about the inside.. Thanks

Well, the time to have done any needed repair (other than cosmetic) was
while you had the glass out.

I like a thin primer or at a minimum soak w/ linseed oil the frame under
the glass for some moisture protection but it's too late after having
glazed unless you did.

The inside is not glazed; just do as any repaint--scrape, rough prep and
needed repair then sanding and if weathered an oxalic acid wash to
remove oxidized layer that will prevent long-term adherence if present
and then normal prep and paint.