Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Hot Water Recirculating Pump

On Feb 11, 2:57*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 2/11/2012 1:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

True or False?

A hot water recirculating pump won't decrease the amount of time it
takes to get hot water to a fixture, it will only eliminate the waste
caused by the water running down the drain.

True, right?

(Another Ask This Old House inspired question)

unless it:
a. runs all the time or
b. is a passive gravity system

the whole idea of the passive system which will work in any house with a
water heater below the level the fixtures are on, is INSTANT hot water.
* We had it introduced to us in 1970 when my parents built on to their
house. *It worked (and still works) great!

--
Steve Barker

But these waste a lot of heat because they are continuously
circulating. We have a second home in Fl and the water heater is at
one end of the house and 3 bathrooms at the other. it can be a pretty
good wait for the hot water to come up so I installed one that you hit
a switch to call up the hot water. I mounted the switch by the the
light switch in the bedroom figuring this would give the pump a bit of
a head start before you made it to the bathroom.