Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Increasing Cable TV SIGNAL LEVELS

In message , Michael A.
Terrell writes

amdx wrote:

On 2/10/2012 8:11 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
? On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:47:54 -0600, ?
? wrote:
?
?? The Box is a CISCO RNG100
?? Only data I know how to get is;
?? Tuner 537.00 Mhz 2dbmv
?? TDC 75.25 Mhz 5dbmv
?? RDC 20.00 Mhz 30.0dbmv Yes 30.0
??
?
? It's the same as the Cisco Explorer 1540C with some features removed
? by Comcast.
? ?http://www.cincinnatibell.com/shared...40_uguide.pdf?
?
? How to get into the diagnostics:
? Press and hold SELECT on front of unit until the MAIL light
? starts to flash, then press INFO.
? Or
? Press and hold PAUSE on remote until MAIL light starts to
? flash (around 10-15 seconds), then press PAGE-UP (-).
? On some remotes, PAGE (+) might need to be used instead.

? See if you can excavate the SNR numbers. Maybe there's RF garbage on
? the systems (oscillating distribution amp, ingress, whatever, etc).

Hi Jeff,
I don't seem to be able to follow your directions, I don't think I
have enough buttons. To get the info I posted, Push and hold the power
button until the power light blinks, then push power again and the info
screen comes up.
I don't know what the MAIL light is, I don't have a select button nor
a INFO button.
Hey started pushing buttons on the remote, found I can scroll through
15 pages off stuuf I don't have a clue about.

Got some "RF Statistics on page 5"
Current FDC
Freq. 75.250
Level 5 dbmv
S/N 29db
Errs/Ave 0/0

Current Qam
Freq. 513 Mhz
Level -1dbmv
S/N 35db
Errs/Ave 11/0 or 11/1 or 11/3 but mostly 11/0

It shows that you have a 6 dB slope, and the high end is 1 dBmv below
the standard level. It also shows a lot of errors in the recovered
data. QAM is the digital TV signal. Unscrambled channels are referred
to as Clear QAM

Presumably 75.25MHz is an analogue signal? In the UK, at least while the
cable system has carried a mixture of analogues and digitals, the
digitals have been run 10dB below the analogues. If 75.25MHz had been
digital, it would be set at -5dBmV, so there would be a rising slope of
4dB, LF to HF.

In any case, if the 513MHz digital is -1dBmV, and other HF signals are
similar, that is more than sufficient for a digital set-top box. I would
think it should work reliably down to around -15dBmV. If I'm right,
whatever the problem is, it isn't being caused by a lack of signal
level.
--
Ian