Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
David Looser David Looser is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
David Looser wrote:

You were privy to the deliberations of the Japanese government? I'm
impressed!

Oh, come on. I said IMHO, and it was exactly that, an opionon of someone
born after the war, commenting in 2012 what they did in 1945.

OK :-)

An awful lot of "ifs" there!

Yes, that's why it's speculaton.

The US threw enormous recourses at building an atomic bomb, recourses
that
Germany simply didn't have in 1944. They didn't have the recourses to
build
a transatlantic stealth bomber either. The fighter (which of course never
saw action) was no more than a concept demonstrator, it didn't have the
range to reach the UK let alone the US, nor did it have the load-carrying
capability to carry an atomic bomb. How long would it have taken Germany,
already coming under serious pressure from the Red Army and seriously
short
of fuel, materials and manpower to develop both?

I have no idea. What we do know is that the US accomplished most of it
through "brute force" (my words) by throwing enormous recourses (your
words)
at it.

Germany may not of had the resources, but they may of had better
scientists.
They certainly were years ahead of the Allies in rocket science.

Just because they were years ahead in rocket science doesn't mean they were
years ahead in everything. For example they had nothing to compare with the
British "Ultra" code-breaking operation. Also they lagged behind the allies
with Radar. When it comes to nuclear science, many of their best scientists
left the country in the late pre-war period either because they were Jewish
or because they were unwilling to work for the Nazis. These scientists then
lent their expertise to the Manhattan project. The US atomic bomb
development effort was greatly aided by the contribution of scientists from
Germany or from countries occupied by Germany.

As long as we are speculating, I started this with the timing of the US
invasion of occupied France, June 6, 1944, and saying that things would
of turned out differently if it had occured a year or two later. Care
to speculate on what the Soviet Army would of done too?

Allied invasion!

Would have done about what? By 1944 the Red Army was on a roll which Germany
was unable to stop. Had there been no D-day landing then in my view the
Soviets would simply have gone on to occupy the whole of Germany, and
probably Italy and all the countries occupied by Germany as well.
Whether they would have been able to set up puppet communist regimes in them
(and keep them all in order) they way they just about managed in Eastern
Europe is another matter entirely.

David.