Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Pin Nailer review.

On 2/12/2012 1:26 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/12/2012 1:11 PM, Leon wrote:

I have the Grex 635 and have had it for 3~4 years now. A great tool.

A pin nailer is great for what it was intended but keep in mind that
once you start using the longer pins, =1-3/8" the risk of deflection
increases dramatically. The guns are capable of shooting the longer pins
but when you get into the harder woods the longer pins will follow the
grain.

It is great for adding trim until the glue dries, setting up jigs, and
any where you don't want to see the nail hole.

Extra capacity is great when you need it, but thus far I've had very few
situations, if any, where my 23ga Omer, limited to just a RCH under 3/4"
in pin length, has not been sufficient for my needs (attaching trim).

It would be interesting to see a graph of the most used lengths of those
owning pinners ... probably some sales data would tell the tale.

For what it is worth, when I bought my Grex 635 it came with an
assortment of every size pin that it would shoot, 900 of each.

I have used every size except the 7/7" and have purchased boxes of
10,000 in replacement sizes of 3/4" and 1/2".

http://thefastenercompany.com/23_gauge_pins.htm will sell in smaller
quantities of each size.