Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atlas Lathe

Jim Wilkins wrote:

I witnessed the reenlistment of several second-tour GIs who wanted badly to
get out of Germany and back to Nam.

If I understood them right, in the US and Germany they were Hispanic but in
Vietnam they became Rich White Americans.

Most people left the Kaserne only to go drinking in English-speaking bars.
It wasn't generally considered a good assignment, even in the university
party town of Heidelberg (where I spent every off-duty minute).

My first assignment was Ft. Rucker, Alabama. I'll bet you can guess
its nickname! I was offered a civil service job there, but learned that
it was second only Washington DC for transfer requests to leave. The
other problem with the offer was that I would be working with a real
carpetbagger. I told my civilian section chief that I appreciated the
offer, but another couple months there and I would have to 'kill the
carpetbagger'. He turned red and said, I understand. I wish I could
get rid of him, but he's brown nosed too many important people to fire
him.

My other assignment was Ft. Greely where the official low temperature
record was -69F. The unofficial temperature was -79F at one of the
sites off main base were equipment was cold weather tested.