Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motor Run capacitor

On Feb 11, 2:35*pm, gregz wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
On Feb 10, 8:49 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:01 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

The HVAC guy told my wife the motor run capacitor on my AC unit needed
changing because it measured 4 instead of 5. He didn't say 4 or 5
what, I'm assuming uF. Does this really need to be replaced?

Jimmie

Why was he looking at the AC? *If it is not running, then he might be
right. *+/- 20% is about the maximum tolerance for thosse type of
capacitors.

Seasonal check

Jimmie

I'll bet it was the same last season. What is the tolerance written on it..
What temperature was is. They reduce when warm.

I say replace it. This might work if it's the same voltage rating. From
granger.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/50...otor_run_capac...

Greg- Hide quoted text -

If the AC works ok, leave well enough alone. These periiodic checks
are fine, but checking capacitance sounds like the tech was hunting
for some way to maake some $$ because nothing else was wrong.