Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default Furnace Air Filter Questions

On Feb 10, 2:41*pm, mike wrote:
...snip...
Now, back to the question that I started in another thread.
There is a technology that uses an electric field that does not require
external power.
I thought the field was created by the triboelectric effect of air
passing through insulating media. *The only response to that was
the rude statement that, "my education was faulty," but no real
useful help was provided.
The other theory presented was that the electric field was permanently
installed
at the time of manufacture. *That was debunked.

I've looked at my sample and can't find any evidence of an electric field..
I stuck one on my HRV, but can't tell if it's better than an ordinary
filter.
That led me to another quest for a particle counter to measure
actual results.
People who sell passive electrostatic filters say they're terrific.
Technical people seem to think they're snake oil.

Jury is still out on that one.

Are we having fun yet?

mike

Yes, term is electrostatic.

Triboelectric is the garranteed charge distribution that is caused by
forcibly separating dissimilar materials with different electron work
functions. Examples are wool to rubber, hair to comb, almost
everything some more than others.

Electrostatic filters REQUIRE air movement to work.

Yes, they work. ...and I'm technical. To be equivalent to electronic
air cleaners requires a bit of volume in comparison.

From memory, I thought it possible/plausible to create a 'built-in'
field during manufacturing, but know that charges would quickly
accumulate to null the fields out. You say it was debunked. Was the
'ability' to "...install..." the charge debunked? Or, rather whether
it was done by electrostatic filter manufacturers at all?