Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Engine Hoist, convert to more useful crane.

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

I found a picture of what I like for the truck mounted crane

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7...bc95cbfwh5.jpg

My truck has a bed liner and I don't want to cut it up trying to bolt to
the frame of the truck. If I could support the crane with outriggers to
take the load and stabilize it with the truck I think it would do what I
want. I don't have hopes of loading Bridgeport's in the back of my Ford
Ranger but a crane like that could probably load anything that I wouldn't
need a trailer for.

RogerN

I have a similar one mounted on crossbeams that attach to the four rear bed
bolts, so no changes to the Ranger. It's rated for 1000 Lbs but the truck
suspension limits it to about 700 because of the extra moment arm when the
load is out to the rear, and the front crossbeam is too thin to take much
more. I use its deflection as the full-load indicator.

As a rough field measure, 1000 lbs in the bed drops the fenders to one
clenched fist above the tires. Even observing that limit I've already broken
and replaced the rubber stops.

It's the low style, like HF #1647. I added a winch, boom-tip pulley and a
drop-on extension to the mast to clear light bulky loads like washing
machines. It has loaded an Atlas lathe without the mast extension.

I remove the bed liner, install the crossbeams and line the floor between
and ahead with plywood to use the crane. LPS3 has kept the bedliner latch
screws turning freely since 1992. The bed is also secured by 3/8" screw eyes
down into the filled-in stake pockets.

Gotta go, town meeting today, much to deliberate and vote on.

jsw