Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - More on generation (sigh) but what is the alternative tocoal?

js.b1 wrote:
On Feb 11, 11:34 am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Its not windy oop north, either, according to wind forecasts.

this has got the grid worried as its going to be colder than expected.

Could well be...

Currently using 20% more energy to heat NOW, than when it was -7oC
overnight & sub-zero during the day. Nearly as much in fact as the
-17oC night and -11oC day in 2011. I have a suspicion it is a
combination of an icy cold wind and brickwork formerly like glass with
frozen rain now melting, so shedding both water & heat.

Entire sides of houses were like thick glass when the rain came in and
froze on contact. Wind is a real enemy of many UK houses, re stripping
heat out of them particularly if bricks/mortar already wet. Overcast
skies mean little solar gain.

yep. windchill works on houses too.

Fortunately here while it's -7C or so, it's almost dead calm, and sunny,
and with the woodburner in the bedroom and two dogs and a cat climbing
on the bed we were cosy as hell last night...