Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Engine Hoist, convert to more useful crane.

On 2012-02-09, RogerN wrote:

snip
I'm thinking a better idea may be to make an A-frame gantry for
heavy lifts and a portable crane that could be stabilized through the
receiver hitch of my truck and perhaps an outrigger trailer jack. This
would work to load the truck and I could use the A-frame to unload at
home.

RogerN

So, go ahead and do it, and use the crane to lift the weight that you
think it should be capable of lifting, as a test. Report your
findings.

I found a picture of what I like for the truck mounted crane

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7...bc95cbfwh5.jpg

My truck has a bed liner and I don't want to cut it up trying to bolt to the
frame of the truck. If I could support the crane with outriggers to take
the load and stabilize it with the truck I think it would do what I want. I
don't have hopes of loading Bridgeport's in the back of my Ford Ranger but a
crane like that could probably load anything that I wouldn't need a trailer
for.

RogerN