Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT unsigned title

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:40:13 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ignoramus465" wrote in message

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Is there any hope or not?

I have to keep an ear tuned to the pitch of the engine, and establish a
preset downshift routine for distracting situations like tight corners.

If you think that's hard, consider a dirt bike. Right hand throttle and
front brake, left hand clutch, right foot rear brake, left foot the
sequential gearshift, with an indicator only for Neutral. When sliding
through a corner all four are doing something different. The front brake is
on the left on a bicycle which adds to the confusion.

jsw

Unless...its an English motorcycle.

Ive got 3 bikes...a BMW, a 72 Triumph..and a '61 Royal Enfield.

Takes some thinking before getting started and stopping the first few
intersections.....

Gunner

Gunner Asch