Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Linseed oil causes house fire

On Feb 9, 9:37*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
BHO is incendiary. It absorbs oxygen from the air, and tends to light on
fire when no one is looking. It is responsible for all kinds of problems in
the world. BHO is a bit more stable when stored in a metal jug, with no
oxygen present. BHO might smell like food, and might smell like smoke. For
sure, BHO cannot be trusted, and needs to be treated with great care.
Pressing BHO into a sandwich bag, with the air pushed out, sounds like a
wise idea. The metal can is a good idea, and stored safely away from
anything that could be damaged if BHO became incendiary, as so often
happens.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"RonB" wrote in message

Never heard of Linseed Oil being used as a cleaner, but I have only
used BLO. * However, considering it has a mild, almost food-like odor,
BLO is very volatile.

Years ago I was using it on a project and my habit is to put rags
soaked with oil, wiping finish, etc in a sandwich bag with air pressed
out and sealed in between coats. *The bag goes into a metal coffee can
out at the corner of the patio slab. * I reached into the can one
winter evening and the bag was notably warm. *That made me a believer.

RonB

"...and tends to light on fire when no one is looking. "

As the man once asked about the thermos: "How do it know?"