Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Need to square a door

On 2/9/2012 8:31 PM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I have a door that has never been painted or sealed. After 30+ years it's
sagging against the strike side of the jamb. My idea is to take it off the
jamb and square it up, glue any loose joints, clamp until the glue sets
and rehang it. This is the Plan:

I'll take the door down and lay it on a sheet of plywood. The plywood will
have a jig made of either 1x2 or 2x4 in an "L" shape, where the corner is
known to be square. Using this square corner, I'll wedge the door into it,
then square up the other 3 corners, checking to insure the sides are
parallel. Set glue into the joints (What about the side on the plywood?),
pipe clamps across the door and possibly wedge the free sides so they
can't move.

Any suggestions or corrections?

If the door is sagging I would expect it to drag on the bottom. If it is
against the strike I would expect loose hinges. Impossible to say from
the information given. For instance is the contact on the strike side
the full length or just top. Can you see joints opening from a sag.

--
bud--