Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default My last dumb ass purchase

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:27:28 -0500, wrote:
I know I haven't, unless I die tomorrow, or shortly there-after.

My last dumb ass purchase was the Bridge City Tools Jointmaker. That
particular purchase cost me close to $1800. When everything was said
and done, I ended up selling it basically unused for more than a 33%
loss.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent precise tool. Only problem with
it was that it's limited to a maximum of about 6" cuts. I didn't
consider that limitation when buying it mostly because I got caught up
with the glitz of the advertising videos.

I could see that tool being useful for making jewelry boxes and other
relatively small items, and casing... an alternative to a bench hook and
shooting board or miter box. Maybe the right project just hadn't come along
yet!

So, even though I admit to having bought the occasional expensive,
unnecessary tool, I won't admit to that with my purchase of any
Festool products ~ not yet anyway.

I've pondered this subject for the past day or so and it seems that gifts
are the biggest issue. Others got sucked into the gizmo advertising and
thought I'd like it... One purchase I recall that I ended up throwing away
was an inside corner drywall tool. I didn't buy a taper ground Hyde tool to
replace the worn out one--a bead was left in the very corner as it wore
through. This purchase happened as I couldn't find a new Hyde tool as they
were out of stock at the local stores. I grabbed some other, cheaper, brand
at an Ace Hardware... terrible piece of crap that went in the can. It didn't
flex... RE power and stationary tools, a Dremel that burst into flames while
using it as a drywall cut out tool comes to mind but then I was taxing it
pretty badly. I upgraded my table saw, jointer and dust collector as I under
bought initially... wasn't sure I was really going to use the stuff!

Over the years I think I've learned my lesson about buying serviceable well
designed tools and other items but sometimes I go against my better judgment
as the result of ill founded frugality. Case in point was the tires on my
son and my touring bicycles. Anyone who followed our on-line journal of
last summer's trip from CO to WA will know that tire and tube problems
haunted us. The "cheapskate" factor kept me from taking the factory supplied
tires off and installing Schwalbe tires... It seemed tough to justify taking
new tires and tubes off (maybe $150 worth) off and dropping $320 or so for
two pair of tires and another $20-30 for better tubes. We paid for that
cheapness over and over again through myriad flats and as 3 of the 4 tires
fell apart--didn't last long enough to wear out--and 5 of the 6 tubes we had
failed at the stem. We struggled until Schwalbes could be found along the
way... Lander, CO for the first one and then Hamilton, MT. In hind sight
those Schwalbe tires were a trivial expense compared to the total costs...
and they rode a lot better and didn't pick up stone chips like the factory
tires. As I'm writing this I'm kicking myself. ;~)
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/RipVanWinkle

John