Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Engine Hoist, convert to more useful crane.

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
..
My cherry picker is rated at 4000 lbs at the shortest boom length. I
don't plan to ever lift more than 1000 lbs if I modify the lift to a
crane. According to the above, for a 1000 lb rating I should test at 1100
lbs. If I needed to lift heavier I would test to 110% of whatever weight
I wanted to lift. I also found some info stating that the minimum design
factor should be 3.0, doesn't sound like a bad place to start.

RogerN

Good that you are researching it. For me the minimum requirements are the
load cell to test and the Statics textbook to learn the failure mechanisms,
some of which may not be evident to you like web shear, beam crippling and
the Euler limit.

Do what you want, but don't expect written approval.

jsw