Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
coffelt2 coffelt2 is offline

Default Small 4 jaw independant chuck? (Grizzly review).

I did go to the Bellingham Grizzly showroom this afternoon to look at
the two, 4 independent jaw, woodworking chucks they offer.

The first one:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-4-...-x-8-TPI/H8049 .
for $30.95, looked very much like the more expensive:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Jaw-Chuck/G1082 @ $61.95 .

Holding them side by side, it looked like they were almost exactly the
same except the more expensive G1062 had to use
an adapter to fit one's lathe spindle. (they offered adapters for $8.95
each, none came with the chuck) 22 different adapters were listed.

The less expensive one, H8047, H8048, or H8049, didn't use an adapter
as it's body was threaded for one's choice of 3 different spindle thread
sizes.

Oh, yes, there were plenty of machine grade 4 jaw chucks offered as
well, but I think all required a backing plate to be attached and
fitted to your lathe spindle. Much more money of course, but would provide
the potential precision necessary for most machine work.

I bought the less expensive (cheap) one, as one of the spindle sizes
was 1" X 8tpi, which is just what I could use.

Now if I can just keep my Jet lathe from jumping up and down, or
tearing up the shop while spinning modestly unbalanced

Why? You ask! Good question.

Old Chief Lynn