Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default sweating copper

wrote in
:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:57:47 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in
m:

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 02:45:34 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in
m:

Tubing and copper pipe are 2 totally different situations. Tubing
is thin like the fitting. Even Type M, which is the cheap light
crap with the red stripe is heavier than most fittings, while the
blue L and green K type are a LOT thicker. In a lot of heat
exchanger units the manifolds/fittings are significantly
thicker/heavier than the tubes.

You should stick to subjects you know something about; this isn't
one of them.

I just miked a piece of 1/2" copper pipe and a 1/2" coupling: the
pipe wall measured 0.023" and the wall of the fitting 0.040". So
tell me, which is the larger heat sink, the pipe or the fitting
which is almost seventy-five percent thicker than the pipe?
I guess it depends on the fitting. and you are measuring the
cheap-asses Type M tubing (and poorly at that - it's .028" wall
thickness) - while L is 040 and L is .049. (assuming half inch -
anything bigger is thicker)

A straight coupling ( 1/2") measures .028", and an LB is thinner
because it STARTS at .028 and is stretched to fit over the pipe, as
well as being stretched on the outer radius.

Whether it's 0.023 or 0.028, the 0.040 fitting is still thicker. So
much for your harebrained notion that the pipe is thicker than the
fitting.

Were you measuring a BRASS fitting by chance? I gave you the
measurements for 2 copper ones. They are accurate. They are lighter
than all but the cheap-assed type M, which I NEVER use.

No, I was measuring copper. The obvious conclusion is you don't know what you're talking about.