Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default How old is too old for brake fluid and how do you test it? Tyre pressure gauges

On Feb 9, 10:39*pm, Clive George wrote:
On 09/02/2012 21:37, thirty-six wrote:

On Feb 9, 5:04 pm, Clive *wrote:
On 09/02/2012 16:20, thirty-six wrote:

Hmm is there any of these oil/gas suspended motor-carriages with 4wd
for off-road capability (and zi;pping out from slippy negative camber
corners) *and a gutsy engine.

BX GTI 4x4, but the 4wd was fragile and you'll really struggle to find
one these days.

If you mean fragile steering arm or the like, can't replacements of
the delicate sporty bits be used from the base of the range to toughen
it up. *Or do you mean it's built from Turkey foil?

I mean what I said : the 4wd was fragile. That is, the bits which make
it 4wd were - the non-4wd bits were like the 2wd versions. There's no
delicate sporty bits on a BX GTi.

So is a 2wd Citroen with tall tyres going to withstand a few miles
life of going through the potholes at speed?

Or there's the BX 4TC, but that's a proper racing car and most were
scrapped by the factory after they didn't do well enough, so unless
you've insanely rich you'll not get one.

Correct, I'll likely be saving something from the scrapyard. *So how
much will a new set of bubbles cost should I prefer a different spring
rate?

25 quid a go, one on each corner but you won't change the spring rate,
only the damping. If you look around you can get ones with different
sized holes for different cars.

Seems a reasonable cost to factor in if there are no other obvious
faults. Other than sagging suspension is there anything else an aging
Citreon will generally suffer with apart from the ordinary interior
degredation?

If you're very keen you could probably fit a valve to them to change the
amount of nitrogen in there - that would change the spring rate. But you
may well underestimate the amount of keen-ness that would require.