Posted to alt.satellite.gps.garmin,sci.electronics.repair
Austen Austen is offline

Default Nuvi 350: Loud buzzing from speaker

On Feb 7, 5:28*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
It's not nice to criticize when someone asks for help -- but you should have
learned in school that a dead battery means that a device will just sort of
lie there and do nothing.

Why the unit should work properly when being powered by the 5V from the USB
cable, but otherwise produce a buzz, is not clear. How does it work when
being powered by your car's battery (that is, the plug-in cable)?

It's almost certainly not the battery. As you point out, it's difficult to
replace SMDs. I would suggest sending it back to Garmin.

No, as I said, this problem occurs when plugged into DC power,
different DC power, and AC power. Only slightly baffled why buzzing
disappears completely when side USB port is plugged into computer but
no one seems to have any ideas on this.

Really not sure what to do ACTIVELY about it as it does work fine,
with new maps so long as you don't mind no sound and having to leave
it plugged in all the time. Replacement of a numerous year old unit on
Craigslist would cost a small amount of money compared to replacement
with a refurb at Garmin AND any repair is likely to be quite
intricate. Wouldn't mind replacing the battery at about ten bucks but
am not sure that it would even WORK, not to mention get rid of sound
issue. Theoretically if this unit is over 3-4 years old, the lithium
battery may be dead AND if it hasnt been charged for some time, the
voltage would have sunk to so low a level, - for a lengthy enough
period of time that even if it weren't, it surely now is!

To recap: Leave plug in earpiece output to cut off speaker and await
whole unit failure. Take out when sound actually needed. (look for
similar unit on Craigslist for five bucks with dead battery and no
accessories and see if my battery suddenly springs it to life!)