Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default WILLARD MITT ROMNEY: "I'M NOT CONCERNED WITH THE POOR!"

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:59:29 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .
That's not all it said. What it ALSO said was that 1.5% are homeless
on ANY GIVEN NIGHT. That means,on the average, the "temporarily"
homeless are homeless an average of 4 months per year. They're
probably in-and-out on a regular basis. They have, as I said, no
regular place to live....

Ed Huntress

How do you count the people living in a sympathetic friend or relative's
basement or spare bedroom?

I suspect you can find out by searching the HUD site.

I've taken someone in and know of quite a few other cases.

Some of these huge Children Who Go To Bed Hungry statistics make sense only
if they count dieting teenagers, which is literally true but very deceitful.

I don't know where you're seeing "huge Children Who Go To Bed Hungry
statistics," unless it's in critical polemics that imagine someone is
saying that. Do you have examples, or do they exist in your
imagination?

You can still buy pork and chicken to feed them for well under $2 a pound. I
picked up some pork slices at $1.89 a pound yesterday as a talking point to
ask the butcher how to precook it for stew. He tried to direct me to a
cheaper whole roast instead.

You're not the kind of guy, then, who I would consult about extreme
poverty. Trying to project from where you are to where they are is a
doomed exercise.

Watch the buying habits of people in line ahead of you who pay with food
stamps, assuming you aren't in an "upscale" store that discourages them.

Now you're mixing apples and oranges. Food stamps support a much
larger percentage of the population than those who are flat-out
hungry.

The deal is that they're looking at food, housing, health care,
education, and clothing together, and applying some relief on the food
end so something is left for the others.

--
Ed Huntress

jsw