Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default cutting (US) pipe taper thread

On Feb 8, 11:06*pm, DougC wrote:
Is both the male & female threads tapered, or just the male? I cannot
see from the examples I have on hand if it is both or not. Wikipedia
seems to indicate both are.

I could cut external tapered threads on the lathe (I think,,, never done
that yet) but don't know how I'd do internal ones since the lathe has no
taper attachment.

Relating to the aluminum radiator building--I have to relocate the
coolant temperature sensor, which uses a 3/8"-18 pipe thread. It screws
into the top of the thermostat housing.... so what I need is a nipple
for 1/2" ID hose that screws into the thermostat housing, and then I
need to make a "T" fitting that the temp sensor will screw into, along
with two 1/2" hose nipples.

I had assumed there would be taps & dies for this. I have found many
sources for cheap dies (pipe threading kits) but no taps yet, and the
dies are "long" because they are for threading pipe.... Is there any
'normal' taps & dies sold for this, at a /relatively/ cheap price? I
just need the one 3/8"-18 size, internal & external.

Both are tapered, at least the ones I have on hand are. Make sure
what you have, there's a straight series as well. A Real Hardware
store should have pipe taps at least up to 1/2", a big box home
improvement joint, probably not. I've seen button dies for small pipe
sizes, The larger ones tend to have separate chasers, just because
of the thread length. The local hardwares have all sorts of hose
barbs in whatever pipe sizes needed, in brass and for a price, but
they ARE available. If you're in the boonies, you may have a time
locating parts. NAPA has some hose fittings as well, you just have to
decide what exactly you need.

Stan