Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Commercial (shop) lighting - recommendations?

On 09/02/2012 09:36, Nightjar wrote:
On 07/02/2012 22:08, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 07/02/2012 19:14, Nightjar wrote:
On 07/02/2012 14:22, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
You're right about the shop window - we need to work on making that as
enticing as possible...

I think it was in Muenster that I saw a shop that sold blown glass art.
It had a flat screen display in the window, showing a video of how some
of the items were made. Movement is always eye catching and it was also
very interesting to watch.

Colin Bignell

Good idea.
I've done a similar thing at exhibitions with a laptop showing a
'slideshow' of the exhibitors - moving things are always good.

On a simpler level, one of those battery-powered turntables works well
on my market stall, with a chrome mug-tree sitting on top of it, and
stained-glass suncatchers hanging from the mug-tree...

The MK II version incorporates a 'lazy susan' beneath the turntable, for
those people who grab a rotating item and hang onto it, while the
turntable tries to keep turning!

When I did trade shows, I used to have a display that gave lightning
like branching discharges. It was similar to the glass globes where you
can direct the display to where you touch the envelope, but in a flat
disk form. It had absolutely nothing to do with what I was selling -
surgical instruments - but it caught people's attention, as did the bowl
of mint humbugs on the edge of the stand.

Yes - anything 'eye-catching' works!

As you seem to be planning, I mostly filled the stand with space. In my
case, decorated with a number of very good artificial plants that were
going cheap at my local cash and carry one year and supplied with some
comfortable seating; a week is a long time to spend in an exhibition
hall without comfortable seating. In a 3m x 4m stand, while there were
product images on the walls, the actual products were quite small and
fitted into one tall glass display case 50cm square and one glass-topped
counter 100cm x 50cm.

We've yet to see just how the people fit into the space....
it's going to become clearer as we get more involved with the premises...

Step 1 on Monday morning is the 'dustbin full of while emulsion and a
stick of dynamite' approach.... after we've treated a small patch of
damp on the wall and tidied some wiring...

Happy days!

Adrian

Colin Bignell