Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default How old is too old for brake fluid and how do you test it? Tyre pressure gauges

On Feb 9, 1:21*pm, Clive George wrote:
On 09/02/2012 05:44, thirty-six wrote:

On Feb 8, 10:47 pm, The Other
wrote:
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 03:57:53 -0800 (PST), thirty-six

On 2012-02-03, *wrote:

In ,
* * Tim *wrote:
Dennis's suggestion makes some sense although I don't see why water
should ever invade the brake system. Just develop a fluid which does not
boil readily and is not hygroscopic.

I'd imagine that people have been trying to do that for many years.

And they have succeeded; DOT5 silicone fluid. It's never caught on.

I saw it on the shelf of the factors but thought it was some specific
requirement due to oddball Citroens and Rolls-Royces.

No, that is very different and only for some Citroens, Rolls Royces
and Bentleys. *There are, or have been at least three types, LHS, LHM
and LDS, it's a mineral oil and totally incompatible with all other
vehicles.

Is this usable in systems designed for DOT4

No

and may old systems be changed to DOT5?

Yes, but no one would ever consider it if they knew what a piece of
**** it is.

So did Citroen and Rolls make the choice because it is "better" or
some other reason?

Citroen don't use DOT5, they use a mineral oil for the hydraulic system
which includes the brakes, suspension and steering. The brakes are
proper power brakes - there's no master cylinder as such. On some, even
the steering has no mechanical contact during normal running - it's
hydraulic. (with a rack and pinion backup - the hydraulics keep the
pinion from acting on the rack). So it's a completely different system
to a conventional brake setup.

Not sure how much Rolls shared with this - I believe suspension on some
models in the past, but don't know more.

Hmm is there any of these oil/gas suspended motor-carriages with 4wd
for off-road capability (and zi;pping out from slippy negative camber
corners) and a gutsy engine. Actually the biggest hurdle is a local
"road" with potholes every 30' of tyre swallowing size. It's a 10mph
job with fogs and dips on in the dark just to plot a course to avoid
the worst. It's a private road yet the corporation have numerous
properties adjoining it. There's a detour around good roads which
takes as long but with better suspension I can use the potholed road a
bit quicker (at least by day).