Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thursday ITV 19:30 ... The cost of going green

The Other Mike wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:01:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

By the way predictability is irrelevant. We knwo the sun always goes
down at sunset and isn't there much in winter. That's predictable. It
doesn't mean that solar power is any the more useful as a result. We
still have to burn the coal in winter and at night to cover its
deficiencies.

By predictable renewables I was referring to tidal barrages.

I am sure you were. They predictbility however is IRRELEVANT. Its the
variability that means they have to be balanced - and don't tell me 'its
always high tide somewhere' it may be, but tidal flows are pathetic on
the east coast.and you would STILL need a massive extesnion cable to
balance teh things.

wouldn't rely on solar, even in midsummer, or wind on a windy day. If
the tides stop then we have more serious concerns than keeping the
lights on.

It is NOT POSSIBLE to rely on ANY renewable that does not present as
stored energy - biofuels or hydroelectric, essentially..

Ergo all other forms are a complete con and should be discarded from any
sane nations portfolio.

With one possible exception. Countries with lots of hydro that don't
have quite enough rain.

New Zealand may find wind useful.

The USA in respect of the boulder dam in te middle of a desert might
find solar useful.

In both cases you can balance with directly available hydro power that
is capable of generating more power than the actual rainfall will allow.