Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Thursday ITV 19:30 ... The cost of going green

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 13:01:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

By the way predictability is irrelevant. We knwo the sun always goes
down at sunset and isn't there much in winter. That's predictable. It
doesn't mean that solar power is any the more useful as a result. We
still have to burn the coal in winter and at night to cover its
deficiencies.

By predictable renewables I was referring to tidal barrages. I
wouldn't rely on solar, even in midsummer, or wind on a windy day. If
the tides stop then we have more serious concerns than keeping the
lights on.